The mission of the Arboretum is conservation, preservation of nature, experiential learning, community building, recreation, and contemplation. Visitors to the Arboretum are welcome, both from Kalamazoo College and the greater Kalamazoo community.
As visitors of the Arboretum, please respect our commitment to preserving the natural qualities of the Arboretum and observing the following rules which are in place for the protection and safety of all:
- Lillian Anderson Arboretum is open from dawn to dusk. Visitors are not permitted before or after hours.
- Please stay on designated trails to reduce environmental impact and ensure your safety.
- Park only in designated parking spots. For the safety of our visitors and the natural environment, No Parking areas will be strictly enforced. Overflow parking is available at the Oshtemo Township Park.
- “Take only photographs, leave only footprints.” Please do not litter or dump; remove and pack out any trash you bring in or generate.
- The removal or disturbance of any plant, animal, or mineral is prohibited. Leave what you find and allow others an opportunity of discovery.
- Due to staffing and liability constraints, only groups affiliated with Kalamazoo College may reserve the use of the Batts Educational Pavilion.
- Our facilities are not available for the exclusive use of large groups of visitors for events such as weddings, family reunions, etc.
- The following are strictly prohibited on the Arboretum grounds and in the Pavilion:
- Weapons of any kind
- Horseback riding
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs
- Dogs are welcome but must be leashed at all times and any solid waste must be cleaned up. This is as much for the protection of wildlife as it is safety of your pet. In addition to being unappealing, animal waste left on trails increases the nitrogen in the soil around the trail, giving the advantage to weeds over the native plants that evolved in nitrogen-poor soils.
- Motor vehicles and bicycles are not permitted. This will help limit erosion and costly trail maintenance. A bicycle rack is available in the parking lot for arrivals via bike.
- Wheelchair, stroller, wagons, and mobility assistance are welcome; a paved path can be found along Pavilion field loop.
- Please do not interfere with research projects and equipment. The Arboretum serves as a research site for numerous university and professional research projects and much time and effort is invested in performing sound, accurate and scientific research.
- Willful damage to any Kalamazoo College property including plants and wildlife will result in fines or possible criminal charges to the responsible party.
- Abuse of facilities or flagrant violation of rules by individuals or groups will result in loss of future use privileges, possible fines or criminal charges.
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
Call 911 or Kalamazoo College Campus Safety (269.337.7321)